Since it is now fall, we’re beginning to see a shift in the temperature and it is a “chilling” reminder that my days for my “wash and go’s” are now over. It is a reminder that perhaps its time to prep my hair, as I would my body, for the cooler atmosphere. Protecting and properly caring for your natural hair in the cooler months are essential to promote healthy hair, and retaining length.
Check out some tips in preping your hair for Fall and Winter…
Get A Pre Fall Trim
- Cutting or trimming split ends will help you to retain length. The split in you strand will travel up the hair shaft and will stunt your hair growth by splitting and breaking the hair.
- No one really like the “detangling process” let’s be real, but trimming your ends will help with time management and the stress of the process because your hair will be even and easier to manage.
- Split ends are the main cause failure to maintain or increase hair length, due to hair breakage, trimming your ends can help you manage your split ends.
Seal Your Hair (Especially Ends)
- Sealing your hair is essentially keeping them moist to prevent major breakage. Exposed hair is susceptible to breakage but sealing helps them to maintain the moisture that they naturally lose. Sealing your hair will help your strands retain moisture and in turn help to prevent breakage.
Guard from Hat Damage
- Protective head garments if not lined with the proper material are a bit counterproductive when it comes to us naturals. Most fabrics will dry the hair of it natural oils and knitted caps could possibly provoke the hair to tangle and create knots. To remedy this without t throwing out your favorite hat, try finding a way to line your head garments with silk or satin. This will maintain the natural oils in your hair and allow for less friction between your hair and other surfaces such as cotton.
Let your hair soak up the mist
- Ditch the shower cap or head wrap when taking a shower. Allow your strands to soak up the mist and get the extra moisture it desperately wants and needs.
- A protective style is protecting the hair from over-manipulation, chemical and environmental elements. to combat breakage and incur length retention is wearing protective styles.
- Protective styling is great for growing your hair long due to the low maintenance and manipulation. Basically you’re keeping your hair away from what can potentially damage your hair i.e.: elements, your clothing which can cause friction.
Pre-poo Oil Treatment
- A “pre-poo” is usually an oil treatment applied to hair prior to shampooing or conditioning.
- A pre poo adds moisture, helps to not strip the hair while shampooing and it helps with detangling.
The Curly Frugalista says
Great read! How do you seal your ends/ what products do you use?
Thank you!!!! Typically I seal with coconut oil, occasionally I’ll use a mixture of coconut and olive oil.